Wednesday, 27 January 2016

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying





Well, I confess, reading this book has not changed my life as the title suggests, but I did find it hugely entertaining to read. I'm not sure it was meant to be 'entertaining' as such but I found Marie Kondo's style of writing quite hilarious at times. The lady struck me as quite an odd character, claiming she devoured housekeeping magazines from the age of five and devoted most of her childhood to finding the perfect method of tidying her belongings.

She's now perfected her method and shared it with the world. 

As someone who constantly struggles to keep a tidy house and with a husband and three children who seem to drop things wherever they like and expect someone else (me) to pick them up, I was interested to see what she had to say on the subject. Some of her advice I've taken on board, some of it not.

One thing I did find useful was her approach to organising clothes and I've adopted it. Folding and storing vertically rather than stacking items on top of each other makes optimum use of your drawer space. By rearranging my clothes this way I've freed up several drawers to use as storage for things that tend to lie around the bedroom making it look messy. An improvement!

I was a little dubious about some of her other claims though. Apparently I'm not allowed to throw away clutter belonging to other people. This is a great shame as most of the mess is caused by the other four residents of the house. According to Kondo, once I start tidying my belongings the others will naturally follow suit and sort out their own affairs, without any nagging by me. If that happens I truly will be able to say that the book has magically changed my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment